so i've had LOTS of free time on my hands since the semester is over with and that i'm officially a graduate of graduate school! YEAH! that being said, i've found other things to fill my time :) the other day, i inventoried ALL of the jewelry that my jewelry partner and i have on the market. took about four hours but i believe will be totally worth it. everything has a code number which notes who made it, what year it was made and what order it was made...a simple 5 digit code :) in the midst of all of this, my mother and sister have found it entertaining to discuss my organization skills which, i must say, are quite stellar and are far from a problem as far as i am concerned.
Two of the examples discussed will now be discussed here. When I was probably about 10 or so, I decided to catalogue all of our family's VHS tapes. each started with a letter - K for Kid, A for Adult, F for family, H for home video and so on. Then, a number was assigned to each. I then made an inventory sheet so when we wanted to watch something, all we would need to do is look on the sheet, take into account who all were going to be watching and choose from the appropriate category as opposed to thumbing through all of the cumbersome tapes. made sense to me! when my mom and i reminded my sister of that, she did not remember BUT still has some of the tapes with my numbering on them and now knows what they are there for!
The second example was one that I had forgotten! My sister reminded me today. At my Granny and Papa's house, we had a plethora of puzzles with lots of grandkids to work on them and to lose the pieces. I took it upon myself to number the bottom of each puzzle box, complete each puzzle, turn them over and number the pieces to match the box so puzzles could be easily kept together. I found this sooooo funny to be reminded of. Sometimes I'm amazed as to how far back my organizing obsession goes!
Growing up, I was paid by my parents and my friends parents to clean and organize closets and cupboards in their homes. I'm talking from age 7 and up I was many peoples' organizer....and i loved it. I often thought for years growing up that I would perhaps just clean houses for a living! My childhood best friend, her sister and my sister would play what we called 'Townspeople' where we would all create businesses for ourselves, make storefronts in doorways and conduct business just as adults would do in the real world. There was the banker, the postman (always my sister since she was the youngest and nobody else wanted the task), a daycare and other odds and ends. I ALWAYS had BB's Beauty and would do people's hair and Classic Maids where I would come to organize and clean your business. *I recently drove past a business the other day actually called Classic Maids and about shat myself when I saw it! - That was my company first! ;) * So it's in my blood I suppose.
I wonder why some people are this way and others are not. I'm SO glad I am this way though! I can't imagine living in a chaotic, disorganized way. I just wish I could organize my thoughts as I organize the tangible things in life.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment