Christmas is over. Sigh. It was a whirlwind and it was a heavy holiday this year but it was nonetheless a good one. We were all over the state to visit all the appropriate holiday festivities and were well exhausted by the end of it. We even had family to our small abode Christmas evening!
I read, as I'm sure many of you did, about the Santa Shooter. It disturbed me so very very much. The main item of disturbance was the fact that this man, dressed as Santa, shot an eight year old girl in the face. She answered the door to see Santa and he shot her. How cruel. He truly stole her innocence and her family. Makes me downright sick. I'm so glad she survived and hope it doesn't plague her the rest of her life. Stories like these make me sometimes scared to be alive; scared that I may be in one of those terrible situations someday. It's of course the media that makes these type of stories more prevalent though. I need to take a break from media I believe.
During this time, I was down and thought much about how poorly I look upon American society. I've always been intrigued by the idea of picking up and relying on nothing but my senses to get me by. I'm sure I'll never do this but the idea of it is so romantic and appealing to me. This Christmas I acquired three new remote controls for three new plug-in gifts. I also received many new things to keep my jewelry habit alive and kicking. Combining these two acquisitions, I was forced to watch many movies over the break while working on jewelry. One of the movies I watched was called Into the Wild which is based off of a true story about an affluent young man who had just finished college and left to live off of the land with the ultimate goal of reaching and surviving in Alaska. It was such an appropriate film to me to watch at the time and it fulfilled something in me I needed to vicariously live through someone else.
I feel like I'm often battling an internal war between wanting to assimilate better into my culture and functioning normally versus wanting to run away and live a life without plans, without goals, without rules. When I assess my life and all that I have in it though, my drive to remain home with my family and what I'm familiar with wins. This Christmas, through heavy conversations, stark realizations, missing those no longer with us, I experienced extreme feelings of love, contentment, pride and perfection with life. It amazes me sometimes the depths we must go to realize how wonderful we have it, to realize that what matters in life is right in front of us.
This season I am grateful for:
Communication
Tears
Disabled Alarm Clocks
Family from afar
El Caminos
Friends who dig through the muck to find the gems
Family dinners eaten by those not technically family
Honesty
Working Toilets
Hot Tea
You
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment