Eight years ago and I could have cared less about politics. I knew very little except that Clinton got his kicks with someone other than his wife and the nation went nutso. He shouldn't have lied, yes, but seriously folks, get over it. I was slightly oblivious to Bush and what he was all about because like I said, I could have cared less about politics at that time. Bush was elected and life didn't change much for me until 9/11 and then it changed like it changed for everyone else. The word terrorism became a daily utterance throughout the country, red alert, orange alert, bombs, threat, defense, war, blah blah blah. These words were immediately ingrained into the minds of the American people.
Between 9/11 and today I have traveled to 10 different countries aside from my own. I have found myself in countless situations where I am discussing with someone from another land the US, their policies, their actions since 9/11 and the perceptions others have of our country. I've tried to break the American stereotypes that other countries have about us, I've tried to represent us in an accepting and loving way, I've tried to be what I think the American is supposed to be; a person open to all and respectful of all. Unfortunately, over the past 8 years, this is not the overall theme of what I've seen Americans to be. Perhaps that has some to do with where I'm located.
In the middle of the country in a red state I find myself biting my tongue relentlessly. Remember, I teach English to people from other countries. Often when I tell people this, some of the reactions I get just blow me away. And not in a good way AT ALL. How are people from other countries who are studying in our country supposed to form positive perceptions of Americans when our general attitude is rarely positive towards them? I feel for these people who come here for whatever reason immensely and am embarrassed when my fellow countrymen who are supposed to be accepting, tolerant and forward thinking utter things that make me want to take them in a back room and give them a stern talking to. No violence, right? ;) I don't want to spend my time talking about this though because I will go off on a tangent about No Child Left Behind, English only laws and so on. This entry is meant to go another direction.
It has been during these past 8 years that I have become interested in politics, much like the rest of my countrymen. When Bush was reelected, I can't tell you what sadness I felt, what disappointment I had in my country and what a strong desire I had to become an expatriate. I still have the hardest time understanding why that ever even happened. But the past is the past.
I am proud to say though that today, I have found my pride as an American again. I am so so grateful to be alive today and to be witnessing a moment in history being made. America, you've made me proud. You've made me want to share my pride of my nation with everyone. You've made me infinitely happy for the children who will be growing up during this time. I hope we teach them well our history and the change that has come. I don't think that Obama is Superman though; he can't save the world in one leap and bound and I hope that people don't think that will be the case. He can though, help us all to begin to save our country and our identity as a nation as a whole. I look forward to being a part of that.
There's a reason the past 8 years had to happen though, this I realize, as you cannot have the present as it is without the past as it was. We wouldn't have this collective desire for change if we hadn't had an ineffective leader. We wouldn't be where we are at today. I'm so glad we are where we are at today.
So thank you America. Thank you for bringing back hope. Thank you for choosing change. Thank you for giving me the desire to believe in you again. Today, I am proud to be an American.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment