Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Nod, Smile, Wave

It is spring break and it is a glorious one at that. The weather couldn't have been special ordered more perfect and there's just a contented feeling of peace in the air. So I'm not teaching this week but I am working full time for the folks in the office. I've accomplished many tasks for work and personally but have also found some time to watch a little of the boob tube up here. Currently, I am finishing watching a very disturbing show. Nope, not my normal show of serial killers and nothing about tornadoes...this terrible show is about children's pagents. DISTURBING.

From the ages of 14-15, I participated in two local pagents and one state pagent. Truly, I thought it sounded like fun and I was excited to parade myself around. Even though I can often come across as a wall flower or someone who doesn't care to be the center of attention, there's a big part of me who secretly loves to be the center...perhaps why I perceive teaching as a stage for education.

So these three pagents brought me no awards, no scholarships, and did not fulfill any empty void in me. What they did was teach me who I did NOT want to become. I did not want to compete with other females to determine who was the best at this and that. I did not want to be told that my birthmark was unsightly and should be hidden for pagents. I did not want to embarrass myself in another talent competition again. I learned that I liked being different, that I did not need to strive for big hair and puffy dresses, and that who I was on my own was the only award I needed to win in life; to love and accept myself.

I don't regret having done those pagents, at all. It showed me a side of people that I wouldn't have seen otherwise and it taught me that I am capable of all sorts of things! It's one more thing to tell a story about, one more thing to check off of my mental to do list.

I feel SO bad for these small children whose minds are being so horribly skewed at such a young age. I wish children's pagents were outlawed. I find it appalling that people involve their children in the contests. Wouldn't it be easier to get a hamster, teach your child responsibilty, compassion and committment through caring for it? Then you could enter the hamster in a hamster show (much like a dog show...they really have them, I swear) and spend true quality time with your naturally beautiful child rather than spray tanning them, making them wear false teeth and laying loads of hairspray on their tiny heads? Just a thought.

No comments: