Group dance lessons were last night and our private lessons were today...and Friday is our first 'party'!!! We will be attending a 'night club sway' class before the dance. I am told that the night club sway is a romantic slow dance. Gee, that should be sweet with my DAD. I'm hoping to convine my mister to go since he won't have the excuse of school! I'm super excited to dance without teachers telling us what to do though! Should be an interesting time!
One interesting fact I learned about West Coast Swing is the evolution of how the dance came to be what it is today. Apparently, Lindy Swing was the thing (I believe Lindy Swing is the 20's type swing most people are familiar with) to do back in the day and then some war ended (like how specific I am? ;) and there were LOADS of people then frequenting the dance clubs! The Lindy Swing took up LOTS of floor space so not as many people could dance when Lindy was going on, which led people to adapt the dance and dance in a 'slot' which is what West Coast Swing is. A slotted dance is a dance where the woman keeps her footwork in between the 'railroad tracks' and the man must step out of the 'slot' to allow the woman to pass. It's much easier to show then tell ;) A slotted dance also allows more people to be on the dance floor at the same time! Now, I should mention that there is another type of swing called East Coast Swing which I believe is a more bouncy dance??? But I'm not 100% certain. I just know my West Coast Swing...and soon will also know my Night Club Sway!
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
interesting to know about the history. I learned East Coast swing in 5th grade for Rangers and we did it in Drill Team that same year. It's super easy. HAve fun at your party! A little envious over here ;)
Post a Comment